A New Layout?

This does not, in any way, mean that I've abandoned the North Toronto Team Tracks layout. However, I've run into a bit of a problem as I can't move forward on construction for the layout until I can purchase more styrene strip in order to make curbs for the streets on the layout. Until then, though, I plan to work on a project that is feasible with materials I have on hand.

Recently, I've been looking through the old posts of Chris Mears' excellent Prince Street blog. While looking through his blog, I came across his ideas for a model railway with tightly controlled viewpoints, showing only small scenes within a very large overall fascia. My explanation doesn't do the idea justice, but here is the link to his original post on the concept. At the time, I was quite intrigued by the idea, and as I had no layout at the time, I considered building a version of it. However, I was unable to come with a viable prototype for such a layout, and I eventually moved on from that concept.

Looking at the concept again more recently, I found a prototype that I think would form a viable basis for a model railway - CP Rail near the Parkdale yard and King Street in Toronto. This sticks with a similar theme as my main layout, but at the same time it has a more urban feel to it, with old brick warehouses, an urban street and road underpass, and an active streetcar line.

 You can view an aerial photo of the area here. The main focus of the layout will be the four story warehouse/factory that can be seen in the upper left hand corner. At one point this was home to the Hinde and Dauch paper company, but this ended in the late 1970s. I plan on setting the layout slightly before closure of the plant, so that the layout requires both less intensive operation and allows me to use my existing collection of CP Rail late 1970s stock. The aesthetic of a little used industrial spur in a downtown area also appeals to me, and this prototype is a good example of such a scenario.


The writing on the plan is a bit cramped and hard to read, and I apologize for that. Four squares represent one foot, so one square represents three inches. The thick lines represent fascia viewblocks and/or the layouts backdrop. To save you from having to count, the dimensions of the model railway are four feet long by nine inches (later changed to eleven inches, but this plan does not reflect that), with a separate 21 inch long detachable staging section.


A sketch of what the front of the layout would look like when completed. The resolution isn't great, as the photo was taken with a smartphone camera.

I took a few liberties with the prototype on this layout design, mostly in that the paper plant (seen on the right hand side of the sketch above) is flipped 180 degrees from its prototype position. If it was in the proper position, one would not be able to see the track (or the building, for that matter). Besides this, the rest of the plan is fairly accurate, though with a few sidings eliminated in order to both fit the layout in the allotted space and to simplify the trackage.

Starting from the left of the model railway, there is a 21 inch long staging area, which is concealed from the front by a full-height fascia panel. Behind the panel there is a traverser between the two main tracks and the siding to the paper company.

Moving into the main area of the layout, there is a small hole in the fascia, meant to evoke the appearance of looking down an alley towards the tracks. One would be able to see both main tracks and the spur, with the condition of the spur in stark contrast to the mainline. There would also be a small railway-owned storage shed, visible in part.

In the center section, the focus is on the bridge, where the spur is slowly curving away from the main, and King Street, which crosses under the tracks. There is a substantial girder bridge for the railway, and the street begins curving upward near the fascia. The visual interest of King Street is added to by the fact that there are active streetcar tracks, with service provided by the Toronto Transit Commission. This service is a rarity by the modelled era of the late 1970's, making the streetcar tracks stand out all the more. King Street is bounded by concrete retaining walls, which also form the boundary of the scene.

Between the center section and the right-hand section there is a turnout behind the fascia, (which represents, in a way, an additional industrial building). I chose to conceal the turnout as I plan to use a sharp-radius turnout, which would detract from the layout's appearance if visible.

In the final scene, one can see the bottom two stories of the old brick Hinde and Dauch paper plant. The spur splits just beforehand, with one siding serving the plant and the other continuing on to serve other industries. The plant siding is heavily overgrown, emphasizing the declining nature of rail traffic there, though at least one boxcar is usually spotted at the plant's concrete dock.

At this point, the layout ends. Behind the paper plant, however, there is a hidden staging area from which the train to switch the plant originates.

The appeal of this plan, I think, lies in the fact that the trains do not dominate the space. Despite the fact that one only views the areas immediately around the track, this suggest that the trains themselves are dominated by the large, if decaying, urban industrial structures around them.

Comments

  1. Hi Sam,
    If you can't build at the moment, why not work out some other puzzle??
    An interesting adaptation of Chris's concept and the prototype - I like it.
    I think this could be like an interesting piece of artwork that could be blended into a room's décor. Certainly it would warrant a lot of interest from visitors especially since I think our nature is to enjoy looking inside history through "portals". It has operating potential although perhaps less so per square foot than an "open" design. On the other hand, this could be built much more quickly as you only need to build and detail what is seen :)
    I do very much like how you take advantage of what is there by running across the whole length on the main and then coming back again on the siding.
    I know this is all very rough, but some things come to my mind:
    How would one see the train they are operating? (Maybe by cctv/video/periscope?)
    Would there be enough room to get in there to uncouple/re-rail?
    To operate the traverser, is the front cover hinged or other?
    The hidden staging, would that be through a small door?
    Access would be needed inside at times: a removable/hinged roof?
    If you ever decide to build this I can provide photos of the bridge, abutments, street car tracks as they all still exist I think pretty much the same as they did the in 1970's or even much earlier.
    Entertaining post.
    Cheers
    Rick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rick,

      You raise some interesting points about operating difficulties. In terms of seeing the train while operating, the gaps between openings in the fascia are only about 6 inches long, so viewing of the train would not be obscured for long. I would make the front cover for the traverser section removable - or perhaps hinged, though I plan to use foam-core board to make the fascia, in order to keep weight down - and I have no idea if it would hold hinges.

      The layout would be covered with a removable roof- and the traverser section would have a separate roof section that would be removed at every full operating session. I may add a separate roof over the hidden staging section as well.

      I think that there would be enough space to uncouple and re-rail - though I won't be entirely sure of that until the layout is built.

      For access during layout construction, there should not be much of an issue, as I plan on building each visible section outside of the layout as a sort of module/diorama, and then attaching them together and adding the backdrop and fascia.

      - Sam

      Delete
  2. A lot of unknowns can be quickly resolved by mocking this up full size in corrugated cardboard. The most appropriate height can be determined too for operations (if the traverser is to be accessed from the top) and viewing through the portals. By the way, streetcar service here is still vibrant, it always has :)
    Take Care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I' ve already come some way towards building the base for the scenicked sections of the layout using foam board that I have on hand. The idea of mocking up the fascia etc. using corrugated cardboard is a good idea, which I may use, if I can find some cardboard.

      As to streetcar operations, I'm a big fan of the TTC streetcar operations, as they are the only true streetcar system of any size left in North America - and the potential to include TTC lines was one of the reasons I chose this prototype.

      By the way - thanks for the offer for photos - I might take you up on it.

      - Sam

      Delete
  3. Am I ever excited to see this come together.

    On access...
    You've already noted about a removable top. That's what I'd do too. I had this crazy vision of hinging the entire front fascia with something like a piano hinge running along the base of the fascia. When the layout was simply on presentation, the fascia was in place but for maintenance or operation it could be opened and would simply drop down out of the way.

    The views...
    Limiting the views in this idea is what made is so novel to me. Since you control the viewpoints you prevent the audience from peeking into places so you can stage cars behind a building flat as you're proposing (and you'll never know they were there.

    I have a weakness for anything under wire...
    So basically you had me at the TTC in the 70's reference.

    Come to think of it, this sort of arrangement would be neat to conceive as a TTC-only layout. A car barn in one window....

    Looking forward to the new installment. Thanks for picking up the idea and doing something with it. DId I mention: I'm excited.


    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris,

      Thank you for coming up with the idea!

      For access, I think that a removable roof for the layout should be sufficient as a) I plan on building the scenes out in the open on a shelf before attaching the fascia and b) most uncoupling etc. during operation should take place in the open, on the right hand scene with the warehouse.

      As the limited views are such an integral part of what makes the layout what it is, I think that the fascia should remain in place during operation (except for the traverser section) - in a way, having the limited view during operations creates a 'railfan' type view - in which one's sight lines are obstructed, as they would be in real life.

      I have a weakness for anything under wire as well - and particularly the TTC - so your proposal for a TTC layout based on this is very tempting...

      I'd like to find a way to make the TTC tracks operational at some point...though I'm not sure how that would work, if at all.

      Thanks for the kind words about the layout.

      - Sam

      Delete

Post a Comment