Cutting Lumber Out of Wood Sheet

While cutting the walls of my model of the Mattawamkeag, Maine, freight house from scale clapboard siding wood sheet, I found that I had a number of odd shaped pieces of wood sheet left over. I thought that this wood sheet could beut to use by cutting it into scale lumber.

To do this, I cut along the clapboard pieces that are molded into the wood sheet. If you cut slowly and lightly with a sharp #11 blade, you can follow the line quite easily. Once cut, these pieces are roughly a scale 6 by 6 inches, although this would vary depending on what sized soding was used. I think the final results of this look fairly good. It is not the most efficient method to obtain scale lumber, but with the closest train store to me bieng nearly two hours drive, it will be a good way to obtain scale lumber in a pinch.


Before: A rather useless piece of clapboard sheet.


After: A pile of useful scale lumber.



Comments