Monon #15012

Monon #15012 is an Accurail kit for a fifty foot outside braced boxcar that I built on friday. I purcahsed the car at M. B. Klein, a train store located north of Baltimore, on Monday. The car was an easy build and I think the the car turned out quite well. In my opinion, this type of car really helps set my layout in the 1970s as it is clearly a modern (at least, modern relative to my usual modeled era of the 1950s) boxcar.

Considering that my layout is set on a rural branchline in Northern Maine, it seems reasonable to wonder why I would have a Monon boxcar on my layout. Mostly, this boxcar just caught my eye when I was at the train store and as it fits my era, I bought it. It also seems that it would be fairly possible to see a Monon boxcar occasionally in Northern Maine, as I think that the Monon served a fair amount of industry in its territory. I dont know that for a fact of course, as I do not know very much about the Monon.

I do know, however, that Maine Central and CP Rail would cooperate to bring freight to Aroostook County (in Northern Maine) through the CP lines in New Brunswick. This was done to compete with the Bangor and Aroostook and to keep freight on Maine Central tracks longer. I can use this to justify the Monon car as freight that has been sent over the Maine Central and CP Rail. While this car isn't one that you would see often, I think that it's reasonable to run it occasionally.

I took some photos last night of Monon #15012 spotted at the team track on my new layout.


Sitting at the team track.


A view of the car from the future location of a road on my layout. The gray building on the left is part of a feedmill that I scratchbuilt about a month ago.


The Monon car is now picked up by the local freight and sitting by the station, ready to leave town. I scratchbuilt the stattion in the photo a few weeks ago based on photos of the old CP station in Grand Falls, New Brunswick.


Comments