Scratchbuilding a Potato House - Part 2

I got new X-Acto knife blades this afternoon, so the potato house project can move on. This evening, I got quite a bit more work done on the potato house. I cut and attached freight doors to the side walls, attached corner trim, assembled the two sections of the potato house, and attached them together to create the curve of the structure. Overall, progress on the structure went quite quickly, expcept for the door that I attached in the wrong place. The potato house will hold to forty foot boxcars and refrigerator cars when completed. While it is a fairly small structure,  potato houses were often fairly small structures, and the dimensions of the model I am building reasonably match the dimensions of the prototype, as far as I can tell.


The freight doors were cut from some v-groove styrene sheet. The doors are three by two centimeters, which works out to be roughly eight by five scale feet. The door runners (?) at the top are made of scale lumber that I cut from clapboard sheet a while back. I used this mainly because I'm nearly out of regular scale lumber, but it seems to look good enough for the purpose.


Corner trim was made out of 6 by 6 sacle lumber from Mt. Albert Scale Lumber.


To make the structure more stable and square, I used some .060 by .080 styrene strip to brace the corners. By doing this before the walls are assembled, it is easier to get the wall joints square during assembly. It also gives more space to place glue to get a stronger bond.


The first two walls of the structure glued together. The square makes the walls, well, square.


One half of the structure assembled. It still needed to be braced at the time I took the picture.


One of the freight doors on the track side of the building was attached in the wrong place, so I removed it with a large chisel blade. I then filed off the superglue that remained on the walls and used an X-Acto knife to rescribe the grooves in the wall. I then attached the door in its proper position.


The poato house as it looked at the end of the evening's work session. The section in the center between the two main parts of the potato house is 18 milimeters long. It was laminated to a slightly smaller scrap peice of styrene sheet.


The potato house is built on the inside of a curve. This is what the potato house should look like with two freight cars spotted at it.

Next step will either be to add a floor or a roof for the potato house. I'm hoping to get that done tommorrow, and to paint the building over the weekend.


Comments

  1. Nice work: clean and square.

    On which note,
    "The square makes the walls, well, square."

    Just so long as it hasn't been dropped on the floor...

    Don't ask me how I know this.

    Simon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. I actually managed to get the square glued to my workbench when I took that photo.

      -Sam

      Delete

Post a Comment